Letters to the Editor

Select members of SU’s sociology department call for institutional accountability

UPDATED: Nov. 29 at 12:15 p.m.

Throughout this political cycle, we have borne witness to hate, violence, and silence across different segments of the population. We want to make it abundantly clear as a collective: hate crimes, discrimination, and prejudice-based violence are not tolerated by the Syracuse University community. As sociologists, we are particularly concerned about recognizing and validating different facets of people’s identities (including but not limited to): religion, race, class, gender, age, sexuality, nationality, ability, citizenship status. We understand how these identities interact and intersect to shape our experiences in relation to broader institutions. That said, everyone deserves to be recognized, protected, and valued as members of our community and those institutions. We all look for a promise of safety and justice.

To students and community members: we hear you, we see you, we are accountable to you. This is a call to the entirety of our campus, to each department, faculty, staff member, and the administration to speak out against hate, violence, and silence. We implore you as responsible citizens to publicly reject acts of hatred and bigotry in the classroom, on campus, in the workplace, and the local community. This is envisioned as an ongoing effort to hold ourselves and the university accountable to our students and all the members of SU.

In solidarity,

Select members of the SU Sociology Department

Aaron Blasyak
Aaron Hoy
Amy Lutz
Andrew London
Angie Mejia
Arthur Paris
Carrie Elliott
Cassie Dutton
Cecilia Green
Dalton Stevens
Dorothy Kou
Edwin Ackerman
Elizabeth A. Daniele
Gretchen Purser
Jackie Orr
Jacob Bartholomew
Janet Coria
Janet Wilmoth
Jenna Sikka
Jennifer Flad
Jennifer Karas Montez
Jessica Hausauer
Jordan Dorsey
Madonna Harrington Meyer
Mehdi Nejatbakhsh
Merril Silverstein
Michael Branch
Nazanin Shahrokni
Prema Kurien
Rebecca Schewe
Rebecca Wang
Richard Loder
Selene Cammer-Bechtold
Tara Slater
Theresa Yera
Tim Bryant
Tracy Vargas
Tre Wentling
Wencheng Zhang
Will Oliver
Yan Liu
Yingyi Ma
Ynesse Abdul-Malak

CLARIFICATION: In a previous version of this post, the headline was unclear. The headline has since been updated to accurately represent the Letter to the Editor.