Beat writers offer split predictions for Syracuse-Wake Forest matchup

Colin Davy | Asst. Photo Editor

Syracuse hasn't lost a home game in conference play this season.

After back-to-back road losses against Top 15 teams, Syracuse (11-9, 3-4 Atlantic Coast) returns home to take on Wake Forest (12-7, 3-4) on Tuesday night. Here’s how our beat writers think the game will end.

Connor Grossman (12-8)
Demon catchers
Syracuse 77, Wake Forest 70

For at least one more game, Syracuse will continue pedaling the narrative that it’s a different (better) team in the Carrier Dome than outside of it. That storyline is much likelier to shift after this weekend’s tilt against No. 6 Florida State. But against Wake Forest, SU won’t need its best game of the year to grab a fourth conference win. The Orange would do well though to flex some depth behind Tyler Lydon, Andrew White and Tyus Battle. Specifically in the frontcourt, Taurean Thompson, Tyler Roberson and Dajuan Coleman have been neutralized offensively. A big game out of that trio would be a good start to imagining an upset over the Seminoles, not to mention a win over the Demon Deacons.

Matt Schneidman (10-10)
Holding a wake
Wake Forest 81, Syracuse 70

The Demon Deacons have averaged 94.5 points in back-to-back wins heading into the Carrier Dome on Tuesday night. Syracuse, well, we know how the Orange fared this past week in its first two chances for signature conference wins. So much for being much better at home than on the road, as Jim Boeheim’s team continues its worst start ever under the head coach by slipping one game closer to .500. At this point, the NCAA Tournament isn’t even in the rearview mirror. The NIT may not even be within sight after this home loss.

Paul Schwedelson (13-7)
Staying awake
Syracuse 71, Wake Forest 64

The collective eyes of the Orange’s fanbase are right around that point late at night when they get heavy and it’s hard to keep them open. After a long day of work, it’d be easy to just let the eyelids shut and dream of a better season in 2017-18. But for at least another few days, Syracuse gives its fans a reason to keep their eyes open and watch this season. Wake Forest has won its last two, but lost four of five before that. The Demon Deacons don’t pose many dangerous threats outside of power forward John Collins. If SU can stay out of foul trouble (Collins draws 7.5 fouls per 40 minutes per Kenpom.com, which ranks 17th nationwide) and limit Collins, Syracuse should do just enough to squeak by.