Abroad

London has unsuitable, yet charming city layout

Narrow roads, cramped buildings and a general lack of space — these were some of my first thoughts as I explored the educational district of Holborn during my first week of classes.

As one moves further away from central London, the situation is a little different. I live on the outskirts of Zone 1, which is still in the central part of the city, but isn’t as metropolitan. There is more space here, but my house takes up a significantly larger amount of vertical space than it does horizontal.

London’s many zones and regions all differ in status, amount of space and density. However, they all come together to create the country’s most important city.

This weekend I woke up early to go on a city bike tour organized by Syracuse University’s London Center as part of one of its largest semester events, Love London Weekend.

Our friendly tour guide led us through isolated alleys, quiet roads and affluent neighborhoods. We biked along Piccadilly Circus, caught the last changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, gazed at the historical River Thames and listened to the bells St. Paul’s Cathedral rings daily for its visitors. We explored London’s various bustling squares, crossed several busy streets, and grabbed a bite to eat at a local coffee shop. Later that day, I joined 60 other Syracuse University students on top of the London Eye, where I saw the entire city in its breathtaking entirety.

Londinium, as the city was known in the late Roman Empire, was where businesses came to life, according to London’s official government city website. Because of the city’s strategic location, London hosted a variety of trades, coffee houses and large financial institutions, among many things. The city was once not too different from a typical residential area, but following the construction of the railway system and mass urbanization in the 19th century, London transformed into the major hub it is today.

In one of my first classes in London, a professor described the city as a series of villages that eventually came together. This is possibly the truest way of describing London. The city’s somewhat unsuitable structure for a large metropolis adds to its appeal.

Walking around London feels like taking a stroll in an incredibly well-developed, globally progressive village. It is one of the only cities I’ve visited where modern meets ancient. The city’s diversity seeps through the many local businesses that decorate London’s cobbled streets. Every cultural restaurant on the corner doesn’t just invite the passerby, but also reminds me I live in a city where nearly half of the population comes from countries other than England.

Much of London’s infrastructure looks aged, and has in fact been around for quite some time. At the same time, tall glass office buildings and hipster shopping complexes line the roads, complementing London’s rich history with its fast progression.

London is intimate despite being a major global city. Because of this, it’s possible to experience the city at a personal and local level, and not just get caught up in tourist attractions, the famous sites, and the overly glamorous reputation London has gotten in the media.

The city doesn’t feel so much like an urban jungle as it does a place that attracts and charms all those who visit it.

Saniya More is a sophomore majoring in international relations and broadcast and digital journalism. Her column appears weekly in Pulp. She can be reached at ssmore@syr.edu.