Weekend Plans

There’s a few more weeks of waiting for Block Party, so check out these events instead

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

David Sedaris

New York Times bestselling author and humorist David Sedaris is kicking off his 2018 book tour in Syracuse. The evening will include a Q&A session and post-show signing of his new book, “Theft By Finding: Diaries (1977-2002)”.
When: Thursday at 7:30 p.m.
Where: Landmark Theatre, 362 S. Salina St.
Cost: $42-60

screen-shot-2018-01-17-at-11-42-08-pm

“The Commuter” Movie Screening

This week’s Orange After Dark Late Night Movie is “The Commuter.” The thriller, starring Liam Neeson and Syracuse University alumna Vera Farmiga, tells the story of a man recruited for a murder conspiracy after meeting a mysterious stranger on his daily commute.
When: Friday and Saturday at 11 p.m.
Where: HBC Gifford Auditorium, Syracuse University
Cost: Free

hol2_kiranramsey

5th Annual Good Samaritan Run/Walk

The Good Samaritan run is an annual 5K/10K to benefit Christian Health Service of Syracuse, and it’s happening this Saturday. The event will also feature live music, vendors and family-friendly activities.
When: Saturday at 9 a.m.
Where: Long Branch Park, 3813 Long Branch Road, Liverpool
Cost: $25-30, free for children under 12

National Theatre Live: “Julius Caesar”

Coming all the way from London, this live performance of “Julius Caesar” is a new twist on the iconic historical story. Director Nicholas Hytner has reimagined the Shakespeare classic and is bringing it to audiences across the world.
When: Saturday through April 30. For specific times, check: https://cnyarts.org/view/12948/national-theatre-live-presents-julius-caesar
Where: Manlius Art Cinema, 135 E Seneca St., Manlius
Cost: $18 general admission, $15 for students and seniors

K-Night 2018

Join the SU Korean American Student Association for a formal evening of music and dancing. The annual event will feature student performances and JuNCurryAhn, a musician and performer.
When: Saturday at 7 p.m.
Where: Schine Underground, Schine Student Center
Cost: $5

schine_kiranramsey

Madama Butterfly

Giacomo Puccini’s opera “Madama Butterfly,” presented by Syracuse Opera, tells the story of a 15-year-old girl who abandons family values to marry the one she loves. The opera, set in Japan at the turn of the century, is sung in Italian with English surtitles. Ticket-holders are invited to a conductor’s talk before each performance.
When: Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.
Where: Crouse-Hinds Theater at the Civic Center, 800 S. State St.
Cost: $10 for students, $26+ for general public

Jackie Robinson Day

The Syracuse Chiefs are celebrating Jackie Robinson Day on the date Robinson made his MLB debut in 1947. Fans will be able to meet the Chiefs before they face the Norfolk Tides. The first 1000 fans will receive a free Robinson-inspired season calendar poster.
When: Sunday at 1:05 p.m.
Where: Syracuse Chiefs, 1 Tex Simone Dr.
Cost: $6-15