Spring Break Guide 2019

Your ‘staycation’ destinations for spring break in Syracuse

Diana Denney | Design Editor, Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

spring-break-header

With midterms behind us and spring break nearly here, many students are looking toward a week of rest, relaxation and rejuvenation. Whether you’re traveling home or spending the week in Syracuse, there is plenty to do, see and eat to fuel your creative energies and come back to finish the remaining half of the semester strong.

Don’t let the snow bring you down: Here are the top things to do and see in Syracuse while you’re catching up on some sleep next week.

headers

Winter Farmers Market

When: Saturday, March 9 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Where: Baltimore Woods Nature Center

With various locally-sourced vendors of food, drinks and personal care products, patrons can escape the cold at this indoor farmers market.

“We have wonderful vendors who are all local food producers or personal care products,” said Sue Jones, office manager and market manager at Baltimore Woods.

Jones emphasized the importance placed on locally-sourced products from vendors who participate in the monthly market. Participants include local coffee roasters, beer producers and more. About 100 to 200 people visit on any given day at the farmer’s market, she added.

headers3

Outside Voices Release Show

When: Saturday, March 9 from 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Where: The Lost Horizon

Syracuse-based alternative punk band Outside Voices will play its second show at The Lost Horizon in celebration of the release of their newest EP, “MyBest Days,” released in November 2018.

Nate Brusa, the vocalist and guitarist for Outside Voices, said in an email that the band is excited to share the stage with fellow acts Sympathy, Carpool, Ugly Sun and Ghostpool. The group’s members, who have been friends for nearly 10 years, “walk the line between aggressive and emotional,” in terms of their sound.

We definitely get a lot of ‘Jimmy Eat World’ comparisons, though,” Brusa said. “I’ll admit that.”

headers6

One Love Flow with Live Music by Kevin Paris

When: Wednesday, March 13 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Where: O Yoga

O Yoga’s One Love Flow class brings a special twist to its traditional practice — it will be set to classic hits by The Beatles, Jack Johnson and even Justin Bieber. LA-based singer-songwriter and yoga musician Kevin Paris, who has performed for more than 1,000 yoga classes around the world, will perform live renditions of a variety of top hits. Shannon Welch Reedy and Lindsay Downing will lead the 90-minute session.

“This is the perfect way to recharge, detox and relax from any stress or fatigue that comes with being a student,” Reedy said.

This will be the second time Paris has brought his “infectious, feel-good” music to a class at O Yoga, the organization said on its Facebook event page. The fee for the class is $25.

headers7

Creative Rhythms Drum Circle

When: Friday, March 15 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Where: Liverpool Art Center

Join drum leader Sandra Sabene for a night of winding down and self-care. The Creative Rhythms Drum Circle allows participants into a drum circle to beat on a djembe drum. Sabene, a certified rhythm facilitator, said the drumming class can help people who have seasonal depression or anxiety and promotes wellness and memory.

“You meet new people and it’s just a very different way to use a percussion instrument to relax and join the community,” Sabene said.

Class fees are $10 and include a drum to play. Contact the Liverpool Arts Center for pre-registration.

headers5

Solely for the Hype presented by Ambition Upstate

When: Saturday, March 16 from (11:30 a.m. VIP only) 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Where: Ramada by Wyndham East Syracuse Carrier Circle

Nick Giarrusso, owner of Ambition Upstate, will host the company’s first sneaker and streetwear convention. The event will not only be selling big-ticket clothing brands like Supreme, A Bathing Ape and Off-White, but also local streetwear designers like Matthew Barletta’s attire and Pure Clothing Line, among others. Shoppers can also expect to also see high-end sneakers from brands like Nike, Jordan and YEEZY.

Giarrusso said the convention will help create a community of young designers looking to make a name for themselves while also being a convention that welcomes guests from any age.

headers4

LIVE at the Fillmore — The Definitive Original Allman Brothers Band Tribute

When: Saturday, March 16 at 8 p.m.

Where: The Westcott Theater

Get ready for a night of throwbacks and classic rock with LIVE at the Fillmore — The Definitive Original Allman Brothers Band Tribute concert at The Westcott Theater. The Philadelphia-based group, founded in 2008, describe their sound as a blend of classic and Southern rock, blues and jazz.

The show will focus on the early years of the Allman Brothers’ discography, described by LIVE at the Fillmore’s founding member, Lou Maresca, as “the glory days” of their career, per The Westcott’s events page.

The concert will feature acoustic trio Simplelife as the opening act. Simplelife, established in 2001 by Ben Sumner, Mike Frisina and Ben Lucas, previously won the 2004 Syracuse Area Music Award for “Best Pop Recording” for their first full-length album, “Life in the Third Person.”

headers2

Syracuse St. Patrick’s Parade

When: Saturday, March 16 at noon

Where: Armory Square

The 37th Annual Syracuse St. Patrick’s Parade is set to take the streets of Armory Square. The parade kicks off at the corner of West Genesee Street and North Salina Street and ends at Seymour Street.

Janet Higgins, president of the Syracuse St. Patrick’s Parade Committee, said they received more entries this year than they have in past years. The parade lineup will feature horses, motorcycles, stilt walkers, dinosaurs and Pokémon characters.

The committee has been preparing for the event for a year, Higgins said, adding that the parade costs about $40,000 to put on and will go on no matter how cold the weather may be.

Graphics by Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor