#NotAgainSU

DPS bars students from entering Crouse-Hinds, delivering food to #NotAgainSU

Corey Henry / Photo Editor

The department is only allowing students, faculty and staff who have card access to Crouse-Hinds Hall to enter the space.

Department of Public Safety Officers have barred students from entering Crouse-Hinds Hall as #NotAgainSU’s occupation of the building enters its second day.

#NotAgainSU, a movement led by Black students, began an occupation of Crouse-Hinds Hall Monday at noon. The demonstration is part of the group’s continued protests of Syracuse University’s handling of at least 26 racist, anti-Semitic and bias-related incidents that have occurred at or near Main Campus since November.

The university placed more than 30 members of #NotAgainSU under interim suspension early Tuesday morning for remaining in Crouse-Hinds past the building’s 9pm closing time.

As of Tuesday morning, DPS had sealed the building off, preventing food and other resources from entering. The department is only allowing students, faculty and staff who have card access to Crouse-Hinds to enter the space.

Several students who gathered outside the building Tuesday morning attempted to pass food and other supplies to the organizers inside. DPS officers guarding the building’s entrances repeatedly denied their requests to allow food to enter.

“There are plenty of places they can get food on campus,” a DPS officer said.

Some protesters inside Crouse-Hinds have not eaten since noon yesterday, #NotAgainSU announced in an Instagram post. Protesters who leave the building will not be able to re-enter the space.

Organizers expressed frustration that DPS has been so swift to discipline protesters, but has been slow in identifying the perpetrators responsible for the racist incidents on campus.

“I just feel like the school does not really care about me and my black skin,” one organizer said. “They gave a lot of energy into suspending us and making sure we get reprimanded for what we’re doing, but they haven’t given the same energy to anybody who caused the racist incidents.”